I'm still struggling to sleep early. This is what advertising does to you, "I have a cousin who was in advertising," my new colleague said to me, "She lasted a year and decided to leave the industry for good," stating that one of the key factors was the gruesome hours that has become a staple in the industry. To his disbelief, I told him I was in it for 6-years before deciding to take a indefinite hiatus away from it, "Wah, 6 years?! Quite hardcore, huh?"
Indefinite hiatus is how I would coin it. Despite all the terrible and excruciating bits of it - the hours, the clients - I still have a soft spot for it. Truth be told, I did enjoy my 6-years in advertising. Sadly, leaving it was largely due to the external forces that came with it. Maybe it's just my luck, maybe it is like this but I have had enough with 2-faced people I've come across throughout my time. All the years spent and I have nothing to show for it. Empty bank accounts, enemies amassed and huge sacrifices. I keep waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel to shine, but it never came.
So I packed it in and headed elsewhere and out of the industry. It's strange how all that has lead to me coming here. Industrial design had been my first choice when I was a student. Sadly, such courses costs quite a fair bit and it was in the city, which made it even more costly for my parents to bear. In the end, I had to settle for second best; Graphic/multimedia design. I guess everything does happen for a reason and now I have somehow made my way back to where it should have begun.
Call it; doing it the hard way.
No comments:
Post a Comment