Friday, 14 December 2007

What Do You Mean That's The Biggest Size?

Last month or so, I developed a rather scary and an annoying new taste in my fashion sense. Since I bought my jacket – which was supposed to be a bag – I’ve been scouring the country for a bag, which doesn’t have the brand name screaming on the front flap. Because frankly, that is just so bloody tacky and so 1990. I like my bag to be discreetly branded. Like this Adidas bag I’ve been carrying around for 2 1/2 years. There’s only one small teeny, weeny logo at the side, dark green on black. Tastefully hidden away.

So I’ve been looking and looking. So much that my shoe is starting to buka mulut. My year old Puma is desperately trying to yawn. No way am I letting that happen. Now I need to buy a pair of shoe also. Because the yawn is imminent and that this pair is my only pair, which means I play futsal, go to work, jog (well, not very frequent, but I still do!) and well, anything that requires me to wear shoes with it.

Thus, the change of plan. Now shoes are top priority. Close call lah as my bag is close to kicking the bucket too.

So…back to my annoyingly new and scary taste in fashion.

I was in KL visiting my Sis along with my folks. Of course, shopping was in the cards. In fact, shopping is the only thing we did the whole time there.

I came across this pair of Pumas. White base and nothing else but a Puma swish thingy on the side in gold. It was love at first sight, “Do you have size 11?” I asked the shopkeeper.

He gave me a perplexing stare, “Umm, sir, this is umm, for the ladies,”

DAMMIT! “Shit, haha, my bad…” Oh man, this is horrible, trying desperately to act all macho, “What about this one?”

“Umm, the guy’s section is this way, sir,”

WHAT. THE. HELL. “Oh!” of course, my mom and sis couldn’t stop laughing. In fact, I couldn’t stop laughing too, “Wow, the guys section are horrible…so ugly lah, bloody tacky…nothing..umm, simple? Like this one?” I slowly slide back into the other section, “I mean, how can this be only for the ladies? It’s so…unisex…”

Bah! Screw them. I left empty handed, ego severely dented.

However, my temporary and sudden soft spot for ladies sports wear wore off a few weeks later when I came down for an event at Flamingo, Ampang. We stopped by Sg. Buloh Over-head Bridge for Burger King before we dropped by a sport’s store. Being tall naturally comes coupled with big feet. I’m a size 11. I could squeeze in a 10 without socks and walk as if I just got ass-raped, so 11 is minimum, if not 10 1/2. And being a Malaysian staying in Malaysia where the average height is about 170cm, it doesn’t help make shoe-shopping any easier if you’re way above the 180cm mark.

I chose this neat looking Puma, it was beige with a dark grey stripe, “Umm, size 11 ada?”

“Oh, ini last, size 9 only,”

Oh for the love of god, “Har?” then I started jamming my big foot into this tiny size 9, “AHHHHHHHHH!!!! SAKITTTT!!! AHHHHH!!!”

“Wah, nak try juga?”

OK, no way I could force it in, “Sedih lah, memang cantik lah,” and for the record, it’s the MEN’s, “kalau aku pi outlet kat Penang ada ah?”

“Ini model dah lama, mungkin dah habis juga,” and he was right. I went to Queensbay the following week (which was 3 days ago) and on the dot, it was sold out. Every other shoe I intend to buy has size 10. Oh god, help me…

No comments: