Monday, 23 February 2009

Catch Ups

Kuala Lumpur. 

Ah, the city. The promise, the potential and the life that’s on offer. So much is out there, so little time to absorb and experience it all. I woke up this morning only to find out the water supply has been cut. Bastards. Of all the time in the world. But heck, I got up early; maybe it’ll be restored soon. I turned on the TV and watch Sesame Street (the alphabet for the day was ‘W’, how ironic), sipped my coffee and lit a cigarette in my boxers. At this point I look like Wolverine with no body hair and muscles. Couldn’t be bothered to fix my hair. I sat, sipped and puffed whilst reflecting.

5 more days to go and I will have mark my first anniversary since leaving my beloved home and lovely island of Penang in exchange for the bustling city that supposedly never sleeps. Yes, I meant KL.

Another year looms. Gosh that was quick. A year flew by just like that. What the heck have I done for the past year? Let’s see, my first job in KL was a complete and utter disaster. I was reunited to a client that I truly and deeply hate back in Penang and here’s a little splash of wine, this time I deal with the HQ! OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. To make matters worst, I had to baby sit interns and work with a pair of sappy half-witted twats that are so-called my boss. I left after 3 and a half months to join JM at another agency.

From one disaster to another, I landed a job at this agency, my salary got a tiny raise and everything seemed good then. There was even a plan to take-over the agency despite its debts because they had a decent array of clients. 4 of us taking charge, seems good, we were making a crap load. Until I come across the deeply entangled web of politics that plagued this agency. In just a few months, they got rid of the 2, leaving just JM and me and tackle the rest of the workload. Not to mention we were unceremoniously moved from SS2 to KL, as in opposite KLCC kind of KL. Like the heart of KL itself. Of course, the take-over plan has already gone with the wind.

Now I sit on my plush – albeit a little too low on the back – black office chair with my extra large black VIKA AMON Ikea table with my flashy 21” maxed out iMac sitting on it wondering how on earth did I ended up doing here. Whatever happened to my plans to go back studying while I gain some real world working experience in the city? What happened to working with a big reputable agency and get treated like dirt? Why am I still single? How on earth do I rid myself off this ridiculous dry spell?

I guess the first year was like an orientation. An introduction to get to know the roads, the city and where to go to avoid those ridiculous phantom jams. A test run, perhaps. I guess the second year would hold much more promise.

I’ve got a target to hit with this agency which I have a stake in.

I’ve got to sort out the girl.

I’ve got to clear my debts.

I’ve got to start making my money work for me.

I’ve got to wish that my car stops giving me problem.

I’ve got a lot to do.

And now with the water supply back on, I’ve gotta get to work!

I’ll be back. Heading back to Penang today for a presentation. Cheerio.

No comments: