Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday,
The Jelly and me had a mission albeit work-related. Because the video production guy delivered his show reel 6-hours late, we had to postpone the drive back to Penang ‘till tomorrow morning. Because after watching 8 episodes of Justice League back-to-back, we couldn’t be bothered to drive back at 12am. We needed to be there by 2.30pm. So we left in the morning at 9am. I was very out of it. Could not function. Could not think. So I slept most of the way back. We arrived at about 12.30 in Penang and it was straight to work.

“Oi, where you guys?” the duck called while we were on the bridge.

How did he know we were back? I hadn’t called anyone and JM didn’t mention it to anyone either, it was unreservedly and relatively baffling how the Duck got this information, “Yeah, we are,” I say, “It’s gonna be a really, really short trip,” I told him it is VERY likely we won’t be able to even meet up for anything ‘cause on the way back, we found out Kenneth’s dinner party is today. Not the day after as we all thought.

The Duck understood although a little disappointed. Or at least that’s the impression I got.

Dropped by Blue Reef – for those who don’t have Facebook: Blue Reef is a seafood restaurant co-owned by an old friend of mine Swen and a former neighbour of mine, they’ve been together for the longest time. And I was given the opportunity to design their logo and menu – to borrow their printer to print out my presentation notes.

Yesterday,
The meeting/presentation went smooth. Very smooth. They were impressed. Heck, even I was impressed that we managed to dodge a few tricky questions. No wonder all 4 of us attended the presentation. Power in numbers.

Immediately after the presentation – immediately meaning we had a couple of cigarettes with ‘em clients before shooting off – we headed back to KL. We had only spent about 4-hours in Penang. It was weird.

Yesterday,
We got back to Damansara at 9pm, exactly 12 hours since we start of the journey, “Can you believe we were back in Penang this afternoon?”

Hard to believe, as it is, “Yeah, what a weird day,” says the Jelly, “And it’s exactly 9pm!”

Yesterday,
After all the huu haa, we made it back and attended the dinner party on time. That alone made the rest who arrive late look really bad, “Bloody hell, we drove over 300km to attend this man!” I tell Kenneth, “How’s that for commitment in friendship?!”

It was only after gorging myself silly with Kenneth’s signature lamb and rice that I felt the full extend of the day’s toll on me. I took a sit and drank another cup of Bastard Punch, a concoction created by the man himself before grabbing a beer in the fridge and sat myself on the rocking chair just next to the sofa. As usual, with 5 guitars on the offing, I neglected all of them and picked up the djembe instead.

Ika – Simran’s wife had already awaken from her short-lived slumber – was next to me, “Meng, what are you doing?”

“It’s my mating call,” I winked at her, “It’s in season now and I am so in the mood,”

She took a quick look around the house, everybody was busy eating, drinking and chit-chatting, “I think you’re beat’s a bit out of tune. Obviously, it’s not attracting anything,”

Pathetically enough, she was right. But just when you thought all had gone to waste, Caring started dancing in the kitchen, “Ah HAH!” I say and preceded to hit the djembe even louder, “I think it’s working,” by now I am very optimistic. Beats were getting louder and faster.

Of course, Caring was clueless, so she kept bouncing, “What, what?” looking at us.

“That’s his mating call lah,” Ika spilled.

“Oh, is it? Hee hee hee,” she came over and sat next to me.

Hah, my mating call so worked.

No comments: