Thursday, 23 April 2009

Hand Of God, Well Sort Of

“You fancy a game after work?” I ask. It was Wednesday. That means it’s Futsal Day. I figured Ben could use the workout, “Heck, I’ll loan you my boots,” I thought, what the heck, since I already bought me a new pair of sensationally cool Nike Total 90. I guess it’s about time I gave this new pair a runabout, “Tell you what, you can keep my old Pumas. They’ve served me very well, take good care of ‘em.”

Barely 1-minute into the game, just after kick off, I sprained my left thigh. That effectively wiped out my chances of sprinting. I was utterly disappointed to have gotten injured so early in the game. But it wasn’t as bad, not yet anyway so I battled on. Which made it worst. Hence, I switch roles, “Dude, you head up man, I’ll guard the goal,” I tell Chee Yong as I limped back.

In goal, I was on fire. No one could get a ball pass me. Every shot was met, every ricochet parried away. Unfortunately, that also contributes to the damage even more. We won the game. Next game wasn’t so great, sadly. Ben somehow psychoed me to go up front and be a goal poacher. Which almost worked. Almost scored. But my attempt was blocked and same goes to the rebound attempt. That effectively sprained by right thigh.

Now both my thighs are busted. I can barely even walk. Was limping. And due to my competitive nature, I soldier on. Perhaps in search of a silver lining because I felt it’d be a tremendous shame to debut my brand spanking new boots in such a dreadful situation.

Back at goal, I limped about to block as many shots as I could and then it happened. A fellow teammate was sprinting ahead, signaling me to feed the ball to him in a swift counterattack. I spotted his run and proceeded to do my trademark Peter Schemeichel bullet-like throw. I watch as no one came close to meet the ball as the ball sliced thru the air.

And it went straight in. GOAL!

Honestly, after scoring that freak goal. It was downhill from there on. But I didn’t care. I found my silver lining. I’ll be able to sleep well tonight. Bring on next week! Hopefully this injury wears off in time.

Also, now I know why Torres gets injured so much. We have the same boots!

No comments: