Sunday, 26 November 2006

Living at Sea

Splashsplashsplashsplash

“Oh god, are we actually gonna paddle all the way to Pulau Tikus?” Tuck looks ahead – not that he has much of a choice – to look elsewhere, since he was on the front, front was his only view. In the distance, almost pinch sized version of Sim and James on an orange canoe was just before the horizon. In front of them is the very rocky Pulau Tikus.

I couldn’t be bothered to go that far. We’re unfit and we didn’t mind. After having to go to shore and grab our beers, we were back out again, in between beach and Pulau Tikus, I took a sip of beer and a puff of Dunhill Lights, “Do you think they’ll make it ah?”

“Hah, I think they just might pull it off,” Tuck replied, taking a sip of his beer too. “Where did you throw the butts?”

“Inside the canoe.”

“Seriously, I don’t think they’ll make it,” I declared to Tuck, seeing that they can’t even go straight. Zig zagging your way to Pulau Tikus can be very taxing. Even if you were a former state champion in Badminton. “Seems like Sim is making life difficult for James.”

Tuck laughs it off, “Yeah, whats up with them?” he said, “Damn semangat, go so far.”

“Well, I don’t mind trying,” sipping my beer, lighting yet another Lights – we could make it to the island, but coming back would be a real problem, “But look at that,” pointing towards the horizon where dark clouds were gathering, sky spraying mist of rain, “I won’t wanna be there when it rains.”

“Yeah wei, Tsunami!”

WHAT?! Sure…
I spot a jelly fish, “I can swim, but I won’t wanna be in the water,” starts whacking the damn jelly with my paddle, “Fucking jellyfishes.”

“Oh man, they’re everywhere!” he looks left and right, “It’s like a fucking incentive to stay afloat!”

As I crushed my Tiger can, “Crap, I need to pee.” I whined.

“Dude, bad timing man, I’m too tired to paddle back now, just stand up pee lah,” that little dude suggests.

“You sure you want me to stand?” scoops up a jellyfish, “with so many of these inside the water?”

“Ok, bad idea.”

But I stood up anyway, not to pee, but just to freak the crap out of Tuck. And shake the canoe a little. For a little bit of drama.

“OI FUCKERRRR…NOOOO!!!!”

That action didn’t justify his gangster background. “Oh man, are they heading back yet? I’m bored and we’re almost out of beers.”

From the looks of it, they were getting bigger and bigger, we could almost see their faces, “Yeah, looks like it,” Tucks speaks, “Doesn’t look like a successful voyage.”

We had to reverse paddle to avoid getting nasty T-bone collision with the overly buffed and strangely motivated Dragon Boat. That was the 4th time we had to dodge them. True enough, Tuck got it spot on. They never made it. Agonizingly close, but never made it.

“Damn tiring huh?” beams Sim while James was bitching about Sim’s utter inability to paddle straight. “But you said I did alright!”

Oh what bunch of girls, “Here, please finish the can.”

“You guys had beer without us?!”


I gotta say, I’ve never canoe before. Yes, shame. Seeing my dad used to run Watersports. It never look like fun, I prefer wind powered or engine powered vessels. I so see myself going again next week. Hoping for better weather too.

Anyone?

And bring Vinegar. Just in case.

Or would you rather pee on yourself?

Or worst…have a friend pee on you.




You decide.

No comments: