For the past month and a half, I’ve been slugging it out to get my portfolio sorted out. Like I’ve said on many occasions, it wasn’t as fun as I would expect, sorting out my work, 2-years worth. Hence, my absence.
However, it was rather nostalgic. Seeing my progress from Day 1 till, umm, now. Am I happy with the progress? Well, yeah. But was it substantial? Have I got what it takes? According to them, I do.
I went over to the New Zealand Education Fair at Gurney Hotel yesterday to meet with the people of WSD (Wanganui School of Design), to discuss whatever options there is for me to undergo my studies there. Including scholarships. Funding has always been the issue. I enlighten them with some basic drawings.
I wrote me on one end of the paper and Wanganui on the other, contained in a box, “Between me and the Bachelor Degree, is this big highway driving straight towards it,” I dashed the pen across the sheet, “But I can’t afford the tolls, so I’ll have to use the trunk roads, winding my way around it.”
She smiled at me and placed my portfolio between us, on the table where all the brochures were placed, “Well, I’ve taken a look at your portfolio,” she said, lifting it up to show me the title, “and I must say, it’s really good!”
Hearing that, I felt a huge lift, the burden I’ve been carrying for the past month or so blown away in a flash allowing my confidence to soar, “Oh, thank you, I did the best I could,” I told her, “So, what do you think? My chances of a scholarship?”
It was a real shame though that they don’t exactly have a scholarship program. It has to be affiliated with another college or uni or something. This is where I felt they weren’t speaking English to me. But the Director did give me his word, “When I go back, I’ll see what strings I can pull to your favour,” and while he tries, he also suggested I look up for other scholarships, like the ones that the NZ government offers. And yes, they have a division for international students. That’ll be tough, very tough, but still worth a shot. On top of that, we also discussed other methods. Loans, stretching the payment and what not.
After discussing all possible options for me to explore, we veered back into my admission, “Seeing that she has approved your portfolio,” the Director said, “why don’t you fill up the enrollment form first?” Because apparently, I no longer need to sit for any entry-examinations and all that jazz which might take-up weeks most people go thru during application and put me straight into the 3rd Year. Skipping the first 2. They seem keen to have me onboard.
After filling up the forms, I walked back to them and hand it to them, “You should receive a letter from us in about a week, stating that you’ve been accepted to study at WSD.” She also told me that it’s not compulsory for me to accept it, should I still find myself struggling to find the funds needed.
So, after a month and a half of endless round the clock spent in front of the screen, I’ve gotten my first wave. The first step. Now I’m in. Only to discover there’s an intricate web of funding hurdles and endless paper work required during application process. I hope the ripple would go far. Really far.
We shook hands and exchanged beaming smiles, hopeful smiles, “I’ll see you soon at WSD,” she said. As if she knew, somehow, some way, I’ll find myself on a plane to NZ and straight into WSD. I love her optimism.
“And I’ll see you soon.”
I sure hope so. I really do.
No comments:
Post a Comment