Thursday, 2 August 2007

The Day I Edge Closer to Quarter-Life Crisis

And so today’s the day. My day. Strange enough, I did not even contemplate on taking the day off. Just like last year, I decided to work it off, since I don’t have anything planned, might as well, right?

[This is my third attempt on this second paragraph. I can’t help but whine about my dim-witted clients and their one-dimensional comments. They will not mess up my day! So here goes, happy thoughts, joyful thoughts, ummm…]

Just over 2 more weeks to go, 19 days to be specific. I’ve gotten my works from 2005 sorted out, with 2006 and first half of 2007 still to gather and assemble, I’m feeling it. The mixture of a nervous breakdown and a mental meltdown. Panicky. Anxious. Terrified.

So what better way is there to combat such torrent of horrifying feeling than to go shopping! OK, before you go all, “Oh, Meng’s such a woman,” on me, let me be more precise, I’m going techno-shopping! Nothing makes me feel better than buying techno gadgets that I don’t need. But I actually do need them. Really.

Remember the PC went all ‘Smokey the Bear’ on me? Now I gotta beef up my iBook G4 with a spanking new 1GB RAM to bring it up to the max capacity of 1.25GB so I could work on me portfolio at home, a wireless modem, finally (yes, I’m aware it’s already 2007) because not having Internet connection at home is just down right weird and not very wonderful and 2 external HD cases for the HDs that used to be in the PC. I have pornography important data in ‘em that I need for me portfolio. And maybe a couple of 'just for kicks' purchase, as long as they’re cheap.

The second half of 2007 has brought a mixture of extremely welcoming type good luck and of course the ‘every action has an equal and opposite re-action’ type bad luck as well. Just like when my cousin decided to sponsor my car’s insurance for this year which was about RM700.

“I can’t let you do that, that’s a lot of money, I have it right now with me, where are you?” I told her but she refused. I insist but she still declined. Saying that all I need to do in return was to treat her a sensational dinner. I gave in, eventually.

Then my car fucked up, again. This time is the engine mounting. As Vig would remember, it vibrates as if the whole engine is just gonna drop and bounced away into the sunset. That alone would cost me just about RM700. See the whole action-re-action thing going on? But for every mechanical fuck-up there's always a dad-in-shining-armour silver lining. Dad suggests he loan me the cash for first. I told him I might not pay him back until at least October. Because I have to invest a lot of money into my portfolio for this month, save some cash for my holiday trip which my other cousin is adamant that I take and of course, my dad’s surprise birthday present in September. A brand-spanking new mobile phone. Probably Sony Ericsson’s K750i since mom, sis and me are now on Sony Ericsson. I think it’s user-friendlier compared to Nokia. Maybe it’s just me.

I’m not quite done with this entry just yet.

Earlier, whilst on a cig-break, she asked me, “Would you prefer a cake or beers?”

Since she gotten me the least manliest of cakes last year, a pink watermelon shaped cake with smoky dry-ice, “It was either a pink cake with chocolate on the inside or a chocolate cake with some strange pink-filling on the inside,” was her justification. Seems fair enough. Though I ended up having more fun playing with the dry ice. The cake was so oddly done, even the cashier asked, “So how old is she? 3? 4?”

“No, he’s 23.”

I’m so glad I wasn’t there. So you can understand when I said, “Beers would be great,” to her. Cakes never really liked me anyway. ‘Cos I’ll still be stick-thin even if I devour the whole thing and risk diabetes. Thanks for yet another cool-shirt, Drey.

And to Na-o-mie – I never really understood why there are hyphens in your name – THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE iPod CHARGER (ORIGINAL SOMEMORE) YOU BOUGHT FOR ME LAST SATURDAY! Though I know she doesn’t know about this site, but what the heck. The perfect Apple-nerd gift for an Apple-nerd. I would give you a giant sloppy-ass kiss but Vig’s afro might go all Dragonball flaming yellow and throw a Kame Hame Ha on me.

I’m writing this long-ass (and seemingly quite random) entry because – after much thought and reflection – I’ve decided to go on a 20-day hiatus. Time is running thin, like me, and I really gotta focus. I’ve already set up an appointment with them and I even have the exact ETA in my room clock. Just to scare me the crap out of me and hopefully motivate me to push even harder as well.

As much as I would love to over-indulge myself with copious amount of alcohol and flirt with every girl I see in hope I might get some lovin’, I can’t. So bear with me for a bit. I’ve told most of my friends that I’ll disappear from the social circle for a good 2-weeks to sort out my life. And maybe another week after that for some me-time-type break.



So...
I'll see you all in Merdeka.
Ooo, serendipity! My project ends in time for the celebration!

No comments: