Wednesday, 19 September 2007

I Bought A New Bag, finally

Since last year, my beloved adidas green bag -- which I bought during a sale at a sensational price -- is falling apart bit by bit from the inside. Because this is my all-terrain, multipurpose bag, the outer layer is starting to dry up, causing it to fall off in all the compartments. Everytime I dig out my iPod or my wallet or camera or whatever, it's covered with a green sand-like debris. Refer to the picture. I got that bunch from just randomly sticking my finger into the one of the compartments. So you can imagine how much debris is in it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
And yeah, I've emptied it before. Just like people with dandruff issues, it just keeps coming back, unrelentingly.

So on a gloomy, wet Monday morning, I asked if she would like to join me on a quick shopping spree, "Hey, wanna go to Queensbay Mall or BJ for lunch?" I disguised my intention.

She replied, "Umm, sure, let's go Queensbay Mall," in which I agreed. BJ is kinda like the Mecca for Ah Beng apparels and accessories anyway. If it ain't for the Ah Bengs, then it's for the Ah Lians.

We arrive at Queensbay Mall (QBM) and proceeded to park the car downstairs, by now I've told her that I've tricked her into this by disguising it as a lunch outing, "Shall we eat first or go look for your bag first?" she ask.

Knowing how lunch makes people sluggish and sleepy, I replied, "Let's shop first."

The basement level is our starting point, we proceeded to the first shop in-sight, which was Adidas, after making a remark, "This is the weirdest looking McDonald's ever!" Well, it was. It's too fancy to be McDonald's. Fancy tables, fancy everything.

And I must say, the array of - or lack there of - bags in Adidas was terribly boring. There were only like 5 bags. Out of 5, only 2 were normal sling bags. And both were identical, one black one blue, "Ewww, no velcro! Don't want."

Next shop: Nike. "Ooo, look, Man Utd jersey! Wahhhhh *drools* I don't have this one yet."

"BAG MENG, BAG!" she nags.

"Right, bags, bags..." and I found none that appealed to me. Yet again, no variety. Ugly selections.

My attention quickly veered onto the shelves, "Ooo shoes! Look shoes!! So pretty...woah! Gold swish!"

"MENG! BAG!"

Then in a what-were-we-thinking moment, we went to the east-side of the mall, where all the hip and trendy stuff were located. Stuff like Radioactive and Tropicana, "Man, this is all to college-y lah," she squirms with disgust.

"Yeah, back in college I'd do anything to wear those!" says I, "Man, we're getting old."

"Don't you own like 2 Radioactive Ts?"

"Sha'up."

Even so, we walked in to each and every shop just to satisfy our curiosity and to see what kids are up to these days, in terms of attire, "Should we just buy our lunch and eat it at the office," she speaks to her wristwatch as if she's a mental patient.

I hated the idea. Ever since watching An Inconvenient Truth, I've minimize my take-away to a minimal, we do not need to pollute the world with more packaging, "Nah, we just chuck everything down and run to the car," then I realize we work in Advertising, where we print beautiful stuff for people to throw away.

"Yer, this is like what they wear during those Gay Nites at MOMO," her eyes gazed onto the shelves on the far-end of the Radioactive shop, towards a set of trousers.

"Does this bag look good on me?" I tried on one of the bags, the coolest one in the bunch, "Doesn't huh? I can't quite pull it off," I placed the bag back at the top of the shelve. The bag has some sort of pixel art on the front panel, on a beige base.

We passed yet another Adidas shop, the Adidas Classics, "Look! Shoes! OMG!"

Again, she yells, "BAG! MENG!"

In the end, we settle at Royal Sporting House. The melting pot for all sports brand. I have to admit, I was rather fussy but in my defense, it was all horribly ugly. Or too...Beng-ish, "Wow, look at this," I say as I picked it up, "Nice huh? I love the colour."

Her eyes popped out in amazement as well, "Woah, it is nice, the colours are beautiful!"

I couldn't believe it myself, it was sensationally perfect. The colour, the way it looked on me everything, "Excuse me," I called out to one of the sales girl, "Can I get a new one?"

She smiles at me, "Of course," as she pick it off my hands and disappeared into the store-room. She came back minutes later with a new one, "All good?" she asks.

"Brilliant lah, I'll take it!"

At the counter, the cashier asked me, "Are you Malaysian?"

Do I not look like one? My hair's black, my eyes blacker than night, heck, I just ended a sentenced with a 'lah', "Umm, yeah, I am."

"Oh, you're entitled for a 15% discount," she explains, "All you need to do is SMS this and this," she picks up a card with the eVoucher details written on it," And then send it to this number. You will then receive a number which I will key-in so you'll get your discount."

"Woah, cool..." still holding that card.

As I unleashed my phone to send that SMS, she noticed Drey was eyeing for a pair of slippers, "Why not you get the slippers too?" the cashier asks, "With that, you'll get even more discount!" she justifies.

So I got a pair of slippers for Drey as well. As her birthday present, "Umm, this is Brazil colours right?" she asks the cashier.

"Yes, it is." the cashier replied.

So here you go, a look at my brand new bag!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What do you think?

No comments: