Monday, 24 September 2007

Quick Buck

For the past 2-weeks; I've been driving around, passed 3 road blocks and got stopped once on the highway for allegedly speeding at 122km/h at a 110km/h zone, though the initial pull-over was for the boss' tinted glass on the back passenger side.

I remember the stop vividly, "Tuan, tingkap banyak gelap lor," the officer states.

"Boss, ini tingkap memang sudah gelap wan," I replied, as I passed him my driver's license, "Semua model pun macam nih. Standard-issue lah."

As I wind up the driver's window to show him that the driver's side isn't tinted, he lifted his writing pad and went, "Oh, tadi ah, kat Juru sana, you speeding, 122km/h."

Wait, didn't he stop us for the tinted windows? Bollocks. Confirm cari makan.

We gave him a blank stare, "Aiyoh tuan, boleh bagi chance lah, baru lepas 2km/h saja," the boss broke the awkward silence.

"Tak leh lah, sudah bagi extra 10km/h," he says, "So macam mana?"

Here we go, "Aiyah, ok lah, kena saman lah," I concede. But he didn't seem keen on this.

"Sure? Saman RM300+ tau?"

Ish. We were quite sure we hadn't exceeded the speed limit, or at least were cautious enough to not get caught. We actually thought of taking this further, demanded that we needed more proof. Yet again, that would involve copious amount of hours spend going up and down floors in the police department and endless forms to fill in and yada, yada, yada. "RM50 boleh?" we suggested. Because of the obvious inefficiency, taking the easy way out is favoured.

"OK," he agrees and asked me to place the bribe under my license.

"Tapi tuan, lesen aku dengan awak lah," I said.

"Ini bukan lah, ini IC ang!" he holds up my MyKad.

Oh shit, "Oh sorry tuan, haha," I passed him my license (along with the RM50) this time as he return my MyKad.

After he pretended to do some writing and secretly slipping the money into his pocket, he returned and passed my license back and said, "Lain kali slow ah."

"OK tuan," and we sped off.

Strange enough, none of them (and us) didn't realized that my driver's license had already expired. And he was holding it up to his face. Yet, -- to our benefit -- he still couldn't spot it. So much for them upholding the law. They seem to be more keen on something else, eh?

So...I've been driving around for 2-weeks with no license.

Now that was a close-call.

No comments: