Our table was taken. The one on the poolside of Leader Garden Apartments. A bunch of chinesey people was seated there, before they felt a tad adventurous to hop in and out of the pool, fully clothed, at night.
Then were left with not much choice but the seat near the kiddy’s pool. We sat, stoned. Staring into the sky. Hoping time would just stop. “Hey man, how long has it been since your last relationship?” I asked Ryan.
“Woa, about a year and a half,” he answers after making an expression that made him look like he was solving some massive math equation, “what about you?”
Embarrassing as it is already, I made no effort to deny my lack of relationships, “This would be my sixth year.” I answered. And it struck me. I have been single for far too long.
He seemed shocked. Eyes wide open, mouth gaping as if waiting for a fly to enter and cough it out. He went on, “What about…” followed by a loud sigh to interrupt him, “No dude, don’t count flings lah, we’re talking about relationships now.” I justify my intrusion. It scares me though. That I can’t last long in relationships, that maybe I could have subconsciously favoured quick-fix flings.
“Have you like…ever, you know, fallen in love?” I question him, to investigate my state. “Well, once. I fell for this girl,” he hunches forward from his seat, and lowered his voice, slightly; “do you remember how I turn into The Hulk when I drink every now and then?”
Everyone remembers The Hulk.
“Yeah, why?”
He leans back into his chair, “Yeah, let’s say a huge part of it was still because of her,” he looks down, seem suddenly dejected, “I think I’m still hung-up over her.” He looks up.
“How long has it been?” I ask.
“2 years, maybe 3…” a smile creeps into his face, “Man, it has been so long, I can’t even remember. But I was crazy over her, in some ways, I’m still crazy over here. I love her. I’d do anything, anything,” he went on. “How about you, man,” big smile on his face. A cheeky one.
That’s the thing. It scares me to think that I’ve never been in love before. “Seriously? I don’t think I have, ever.” Now I look down, feeling gloomy.
“Never? What about Animal Driver?”
What? Where did that came from? “That was different, what I felt for her, I don’t think its love. It was just an unrelenting infatuation, I guess.” But when I think of it, “I think I did felt something, not for her, but the girl behind me in class, the one that whacks me for smelling like smoke.” She hates it when I smoke during our 5 minute break from a 2 hour long class.
“Whack?!”
“A friendly-whack lah, not really wan!” I replied.
He had never heard of this before. In fact, I’ve never really mentioned her. “So what happened?” he asks.
“What do you expect? The inexorable craze over Animal Driver made me looked over her,” says I. I feel like I’m on a jail-term, serving time for missed chances.
Then were left with not much choice but the seat near the kiddy’s pool. We sat, stoned. Staring into the sky. Hoping time would just stop. “Hey man, how long has it been since your last relationship?” I asked Ryan.
“Woa, about a year and a half,” he answers after making an expression that made him look like he was solving some massive math equation, “what about you?”
Embarrassing as it is already, I made no effort to deny my lack of relationships, “This would be my sixth year.” I answered. And it struck me. I have been single for far too long.
He seemed shocked. Eyes wide open, mouth gaping as if waiting for a fly to enter and cough it out. He went on, “What about…” followed by a loud sigh to interrupt him, “No dude, don’t count flings lah, we’re talking about relationships now.” I justify my intrusion. It scares me though. That I can’t last long in relationships, that maybe I could have subconsciously favoured quick-fix flings.
“Have you like…ever, you know, fallen in love?” I question him, to investigate my state. “Well, once. I fell for this girl,” he hunches forward from his seat, and lowered his voice, slightly; “do you remember how I turn into The Hulk when I drink every now and then?”
Everyone remembers The Hulk.
“Yeah, why?”
He leans back into his chair, “Yeah, let’s say a huge part of it was still because of her,” he looks down, seem suddenly dejected, “I think I’m still hung-up over her.” He looks up.
“How long has it been?” I ask.
“2 years, maybe 3…” a smile creeps into his face, “Man, it has been so long, I can’t even remember. But I was crazy over her, in some ways, I’m still crazy over here. I love her. I’d do anything, anything,” he went on. “How about you, man,” big smile on his face. A cheeky one.
That’s the thing. It scares me to think that I’ve never been in love before. “Seriously? I don’t think I have, ever.” Now I look down, feeling gloomy.
“Never? What about Animal Driver?”
What? Where did that came from? “That was different, what I felt for her, I don’t think its love. It was just an unrelenting infatuation, I guess.” But when I think of it, “I think I did felt something, not for her, but the girl behind me in class, the one that whacks me for smelling like smoke.” She hates it when I smoke during our 5 minute break from a 2 hour long class.
“Whack?!”
“A friendly-whack lah, not really wan!” I replied.
He had never heard of this before. In fact, I’ve never really mentioned her. “So what happened?” he asks.
“What do you expect? The inexorable craze over Animal Driver made me looked over her,” says I. I feel like I’m on a jail-term, serving time for missed chances.
No comments:
Post a Comment