It’s always a bolt from the blue whenever my parents ask me anything about technology. It was strange how they suddenly ask me about iPods…
“So how many songs can you fit in there?” dad would ask. “This one can take up to 120 songs depending on the bitrate and format.” I replied.
“HUH?!”
Yeah, they don’t understand, I had to summarize and simplify, so I say “120 songs.” Then they realize, “Eh, no need battery wan ah?” mom asks. Of course need battery wan lah, it’s an internal one, “Over here,” I said as I pointed to the area I think the battery should be and then I pull out the cover that hides the USB head, “and here’s how you charge it and put songs in it.”
“Waaaaaah, damn advance, huh?”
A day or two later, suddenly dad had this unrelenting curiosity with digital cameras and images, “If I borrow my friend’s memory stick, could you transfer the siao-eng (photographs) over ah?” I was surprise that dad had learnt the term Memory Stick. And to hear him say it was unbelievable. I shrugged off my disbelief and said, “My camera uses a SD card ler, so no point borrowing his Memory Stick.”
I swear I could almost see a pair of huge sized 24 Times New Roman question marks appear on both his eyes. “Errr, dad, put it this way, different camera uses different memory cards to store images,” I said and extracted my SD card and show it to him, “see? That’s how mine looks like.”
“I want to use all these siao-eng (photographs) to promote my business, it’s been damn good and I want to further work on that,” he tells me, “so how do I get the siao-eng (photographs) back for you to…you know…Photoshop it.”
Now the size 24 Times New Roman question marks emerge in my eyes and my jaw dropping onto the keyboard. I can’t believe he said “Photoshop”. He said it. Wow. Trying to hide my contentment that my dad is no longer entirely clueless about computers, “Well, use this,” I stretch my arm to reach the CDr casing to grab a blank disc, “he should have a burner, ask him to put all the images here and bring it back to me for the Photoshop work.”
I want to explain to him about mega-pixels, just making sure because I damn pantang low-res pictures. “The more mega pixel only means the frame size is bigger, doesn’t mean the clarity is good.” I said. “I have no idea what you’re talking about but I think I hear him say 6 mega pixels and Panasonic,” dad replies. OK lah, that’s very good. “Panasonic produces decent images.”


If only they ask me questions like this more often.
Now dad walks around thinking he is some tech-whiz.
“So how many songs can you fit in there?” dad would ask. “This one can take up to 120 songs depending on the bitrate and format.” I replied.
“HUH?!”
Yeah, they don’t understand, I had to summarize and simplify, so I say “120 songs.” Then they realize, “Eh, no need battery wan ah?” mom asks. Of course need battery wan lah, it’s an internal one, “Over here,” I said as I pointed to the area I think the battery should be and then I pull out the cover that hides the USB head, “and here’s how you charge it and put songs in it.”
“Waaaaaah, damn advance, huh?”
A day or two later, suddenly dad had this unrelenting curiosity with digital cameras and images, “If I borrow my friend’s memory stick, could you transfer the siao-eng (photographs) over ah?” I was surprise that dad had learnt the term Memory Stick. And to hear him say it was unbelievable. I shrugged off my disbelief and said, “My camera uses a SD card ler, so no point borrowing his Memory Stick.”
I swear I could almost see a pair of huge sized 24 Times New Roman question marks appear on both his eyes. “Errr, dad, put it this way, different camera uses different memory cards to store images,” I said and extracted my SD card and show it to him, “see? That’s how mine looks like.”
“I want to use all these siao-eng (photographs) to promote my business, it’s been damn good and I want to further work on that,” he tells me, “so how do I get the siao-eng (photographs) back for you to…you know…Photoshop it.”
Now the size 24 Times New Roman question marks emerge in my eyes and my jaw dropping onto the keyboard. I can’t believe he said “Photoshop”. He said it. Wow. Trying to hide my contentment that my dad is no longer entirely clueless about computers, “Well, use this,” I stretch my arm to reach the CDr casing to grab a blank disc, “he should have a burner, ask him to put all the images here and bring it back to me for the Photoshop work.”
I want to explain to him about mega-pixels, just making sure because I damn pantang low-res pictures. “The more mega pixel only means the frame size is bigger, doesn’t mean the clarity is good.” I said. “I have no idea what you’re talking about but I think I hear him say 6 mega pixels and Panasonic,” dad replies. OK lah, that’s very good. “Panasonic produces decent images.”


If only they ask me questions like this more often.
Now dad walks around thinking he is some tech-whiz.
No comments:
Post a Comment