Thursday, 31 January 2008

Time To Go

3-weeks ago, after 3-years -- well close to 3 anyway -- of unrelenting work, the highs and lows, the agony, the joy, the oohs and the aahs, I finally resigned my post as a Jr. Art Director from Megan Ads Advertising. The company I've been working with since my graduation. It wasn't easy typing my resignation, handing it to my boss, the idea of leaving an agency I've been with for so long. But time isn't on my side and I ain't getting any younger.

3-years ago, on my first day when my boss when telling me about his so-called brach in KL, I bluntly said to him, "So, Kee, when are you gonna send me over to KL?"

Well he kinda did. A lot of times. But it isn't what I exactly wanted. We went over to KL a lot for business trips and such. What I really fancied is a permanent move. Fresh out of college and barely 6-months after my short stint with a publishing company, I really wanted to continue where I left off in KL. As I have secretly grown to hate the advertising life in Penang.

3-years later, I still find myself stuck in Penang. Despite of all that, I did enjoy my time here. However, like I said earlier, I ain't getting any younger and after my trip with my parents to KL, I met my rich uncle for breakfast in Klang, "Meng, the best way to be successful is to hop around from one employer to another," he advised, "Your pay will increase substantially if you do. Don't get me wrong, loyalty is very respected. But honestly, I think it's time you take a chance and move on." His son, my cousin did just that, and now he earns 5 times more than he did when he first started. In the space of only 3 years. He works in Singapore now. He's so rich now that he gave up the MINI Cooper they bought for him.

When a rich uncle gives you an advise. You listen. You obey.

3-months later, in December 2007, I got a call from a potential employer. He asked, "Would you be able to meet up sometime this week?" because he was in town. He's a Penangite too and also a Saint.

Excited at the prospect, and with my portfolio all ready since my attempt to go back and get a Bachelor's Degree, I replied, "Sure, sure. Of course. Is tomorrow ok with you?"

"Tomorrow it is," he replied.

That was it. I dare to say I nailed it there and then. But there was some sort of formality required and he asked if I could come down to KL and personally see the office and meet the other partner. So I went. 1 week later, they called and gave me the green light, "Meng, OK, we're gonna hire you."

Oh yeah! I am finally moving to KL!

---

You know, it's been one hell of a ride, I have to say. The best and worst of me were revealed during my 3 year tenure. The chance to get to know Elaine, meeting Kee, David, Audrey, San then Ching Yee. Debbie was also with us for a short stint. I owe it to you guys for keeping me sane all these times!

Elaine, though we were only colleagues for a few months, but it was there we had a ball and did stupid things which led to wherever we are now. Pinch!

David, he was my Art Director when I joined. And now I leave as his Art Director. Strange how things work out, huh? He is our resident pop star with weekly performances somewhere which he refuse to tell us. The guy that turns red -- and I really mean RED -- when he drinks alcohol. The guy that could drink half a mug of Graveyard and go, "Aiyah, boring lah."

Audrey, Ms. She is Everywhere I go. LOL. We were college-mates, "OMG Ian! Audrey's is in EAA also!" to becoming classmates, "OMG Ian! Now Audrey is my classmate!". You see, JM used to fancy her. But it was a long time ago. Drey, if you hadn't came over to the far end where I was seated, we would probably never be friends. It was you that made this friendship. You know its you! :) And yeah, we were in KLue together as well. Ah good times. Not to forget the "last for her first day" incident and the bloody pink cake.

Hooi San, EAA's top student of her batch. Lovely girl, one of a kind, sweet and oh-so fast when it comes to graphic design. It's a shame we never work together as much as I would want to. You so understand what I see in my head. It's so bloody easy to work with you. And though you don't drink alcohol anymore, it was fun when you did (or tried). When we went to 3 clubs with our colleagues. It was memorable.

Ching Yee, I had no bloody idea they hired her. I came in one day and tah-dah, she was seating next to me. "Ummm, who is this?" I asked. Turns out, she was one heck of a designer. All the way from The One Academy, she was Hooi San's former colleague at another agency in Penang. She is damn random, bubbly and man I love her ringtone, always make me laugh. Until this day, I have no idea what does it say. Its in Japanese.

Kee, ahh ze boss. He laughed -- and almost fall onto the ground -- when I said RM800 for my starting pay. What? I had no idea what to ask for. He paid me close to double. Then increased it further after my probation period. Subsequently, after strings of somewhat good performance and my ability to handle various kinds of work from print, to handling clients to presentations, to videoshoots and editing to basically everything else in between. He made me into a Jr AD after that. We had our good times and bad times. But hey, it's a passionate job innit? Oh, the company he helped founded has a logo that I designed. LOL. Just thought that was worth a mention.

And for those I've left out, Michelle and AJ. It's been a blast. It really has been.

Gosh, I may get crucified if I don't fix this entry later on. I will. Just that I am still in the office typing this on my last day. Damn last minute as usual.

Oh well. Time to go.

Cheerio mates. And all the best. I will miss you guys.

No comments: