Saturday, 23 September 2006

Long Goodbye

Yesterday, (though I have never seen a single episode of it) was the grand finale of the much (or so) awaited One In A Million talent show. And despite being the finale, interest was lacking. I mean, there is so much reality show out there and it’s starting to be very repetitive. But anyhoo…

I watched it to humour my parents. Cos sis said it was nice. So I watched. Intro…ok, nothing great. Expected. Then the 3 finalists did a 3-way duet. OK…still fine. But if you look closely, the fellow with long hair kept spacing out and miss out on the group singing part. Not to mention the faulty mic that didn’t work when he was queried.

Then here’s the strangest bit. After the performance, they decided to send one off…barely 15 minutes into the show, 1 contestant’s dream is smashed right infront of him. Then I guess, the producer felt awful and decided to let him stay…WTF?

But the weirdest, strangest and ridiculous part was the ending. With 30 minutes to spare, I’m guessing they over-calculated the air time and mistakenly booked a 2 hour slot. Thus, they decided to throw in an after-show, show. Which was really, unnecessary. Not only did the TV hosts speak horrible English with the fakest of accent/slang. They weren’t even prepared for it and they keep up their lame antics and pathetic jokes after another. Not to mention the stupid questions they ask the audience. What do you expect lah, stupid questions = stupid answers.

Here’s the best part…they even broadcast the press conference…(no, that’s not the best part, but here it is)…with, of course, the winner, Suki, the judges, producer…and…the 2 losers. I mean, as if losing a chance at 1 million isn’t bad enough, they glorified their failure by including them on the press conference broadcast live to the entire nation. Which led to the long haired guy making a somewhat bitter remark,

“Yeah of course I’m disappointed that I didn’t win. But in the end, I only have myself to blame,” he said with a bitter sore-loser fake smile printed on his face, “I did not went campaigning for votes…like THEY did,” pointing at them with resentment, “I didn’t really do anything, really.”

Gee…go figure. One million Ringgit to be won and you couldn’t even do some self-promotion. How to be singer lah like that? I’m guessing he doesn’t even realize that out of the 1 million, you only get a fraction of it as the rest goes straight into producing your debut album. But I pity him. He lost, twice. On the same night. Must be tough.

Everyone seemed frightened to be in the press conference, except Paul Moss, who at least manages to crack up a few jokes to ease the tension. You could sense the anxiety on Fat Fabes…scared to death.

Back to the TV hosts. The short girl was blabbing something which no one could hear her, thanks to her dumbass co-host who did not realize he was holding the mic to himself, even when she specifically requested, “Can I hold the mic ah? I didn’t hold the mic at all tonight!” she looked up and grasps the mic and attempts to pry it from him, “Gimme lah.”

“OK OK,” says he, but still holding, refusing to let her hold it for herself…and in the end, crouch a little, still holding the mic, with her still frantically trying. In the end, both of them are holding the mic. WTF?!

All in all, the ending was just too long-winded. Waaay too long-winded.

But in retrospect, it was damn funny.

No comments: