Facebook is weird.
Just like Friendster, when I first heard of Facebook, I was morosely hesitant to register, “Another social network site?” I ask, “Why can’t we all just stick with Friendster?” I wonder.
It didn’t take long to find out why people were migrating over. Apart from the cool new features like the introduction of apps (web applications) and photo tagging, Friendster was already plunging down a slope to down town China. Simply said, “It’s damn jing jang lah,” that’s how a friend of mine used to explain all things tacky.
The minute I checked my testimonials (wah, old skool), I had supposedly made “new” friends. Girls to be exact, those peculiarly cute, zombie pale, big eyed, cartoony Japanese looking local girls that speaks English that sounds more like Mandarin. My testimonial column is no longer filled with actual testimonials written by real friends, but filled with false hopes, tacky graphics like “I miss you,” or “Happy Birthday” on January even though my birthday is in August. Bloody hell, I don’t even know who you are and those annoying cute little kittens with those exaggeratedly cute messages and overly tacky sparkles could make you cough out fur balls and see stars before you jump off your balcony.
So, I registered for Facebook.
That was years ago. Since the end of last year, I’ve gotten used to it. It’s much easier to track down photos taken by a friend at some party, there’s a lot to do there (which spells danger for bosses) and so on. Simply said, anyone can find out about your whole life and how you look like when you’re sad, happy, angry, drunk or where you work, for how long just by clicking onto your page. I’ve heard stories of people losing their jobs because they were dumb enough to add their bosses into their Friend’s list. Some even got divorced.
Annoyed by that idea that people could access such information, I decided to slowly pull back my information. One by one off my page. Just for kicks. For some reason – maybe its due to my ‘caveman hiding in his cave’ mode – I started with my relationship status. It’s been pathetically stuck on ‘Single’ since the day I registered. Assuming it’ll be perpetual for a while more, so I removed it. I did not change anything. I just refrain to put it out on display. And hopefully, this would fly under everyone’s radar.
“Facebook is evil,” Dasha once wrote that on her status.
Rightfully justified. It didn’t fly underneath any radar. It was all over the place. I got bombarded with endless torrent of questions by almost everyone I know – either on MSN or my Wall on Facebook – asking, “Who’s this girl?”
Heh, this is fun. Best part is, I’ve not answered anyone. In fact, I skipped around the question. Usually choosing to answer the second part of the question that is completely unrelated to the topic at hand.
Here’s to adding a splash of mystery to my character!
Shit, hang on, I have a blog.
CRAP.
No comments:
Post a Comment