Wednesday, 31 January 2007

'More Than A Year' Shit

In life, there are a few certainties. Like how I’ll fail to function without my first cup of coffee, how the sun will always rise from the East, like how Green Lane is always jammed up or how Sim can never write me a proper testimonial on Friendster.

But there is never a certainty when you have one of those, “Crap, what song is that?” days because you’ll never know when you will ever find out the title.

In recent months, (even now) Volvo has a series of ads with the closing tagline; “Who Would You Give A Volvo To?” on TV. One of those ad in particular has this mega catchy tune to it. “Shit, I gotta have that song.”

It starts off with a palm muted guitar riff. Then some beats follows before the piano enters the audio line. The ad shows various kinds of people driving a range of Volvo cars. Noticeably, an Indian couple is in it too. Hope that helps you pin point which ad I’m yapping about.

Ever since I heard it, I started to rummage around the net, Google it what so on. Nothing. The closest I got was the website itself.

And just to make matters worst – the international version has a different song.

I hate it when this happens. The last time this happened, it took me 1 ½ years before I found out who it was. In fact, I didn’t even find it…it found me. So I don’t think I can wait that long again.

I needed help, so I turn to my musically inclined friends to facilitate my search.

“Dude, the whole ‘more than a year' shit has happened to me as well,” he tells me on MSN that he remembers his moment clearly even though it was way back in 1998.

“As usual, me and my friends were smoking by the poolside,” back then they do that every night. And after all that, he has to send one of his friends home too. “All I had in the car was metal, Steve will always turn on the radio during the trip back, "He likes his mellow shit when he’s under the influence.”

“It wasn’t one of those crap stations like HITz,” making no effort to hide his dislike to the repetitiveness of HITz, “It was one of those stations that plays ‘Take Your Breath Away’ and Phil Collins, Sting and shit.”

“Anyway so we were both stoned and this song came on,” he tells me that it was this girl singing, in a “Totally fucking angelic voice,” with no real music in the background except for violins and something else. He got excited, “I was like whoaa!! Who the fuck is this?” and they waited and waited for the song to finish, hoping the DJ would mention who it was.

But…
“Nothing.....................song just changed into another song.”

“Fuck! I hate it when DJs do that,” I tell him, “DJs not doing their job right.”

“It was a beautiful song, I fell in love man,” he’s interest in this song sparked Steve to have an interest in it also, so both of them decided, “Fuck we gonna find this song!” as they start their expedition to find this song.

They found nothing. They kept trying and trying.

And then they forgot about it albeit he will remember it from time to time when driving home stoned "Wah that was damn cun man…I wish I knew who that was."

Case closed. Until…

“And then in fucking 2002 I heard it again!” but not on the radio like they did the first time. In fact, his friend was talking to him as the song return to haunt him in the car.

“I was like fuck!!!” in a parking lot. So he went and asked his friend to ask his friend to found out it was.

Fiona Apple - Across the Universe, Beatles cover.



I don’t think I can wait for 4 years!
Help!

Here’s the link. It's the first box in the "Watch the commercials" section. And it’s not ‘Hundreds of Sparrows’. In Asia we have a different tune.

No comments: