Tuesday, 12 June 2007

Flatten

This morning, as I slot the gear into reverse -- getting ready to officially start yet another working day -- the steering mysteriously spun out of control and veered to the left. Being me, I'm horrible at spotting or feeling a flat tyre. So I just drove off. But it was when I got more than the usual stares, I'd realize something must be horribly wrong. And it did went wrong. It was proper flat. Flat to the rim. Embarrassed, I went back in and drag the car back to my house. No way I'm giving a free show to the neighbours. So with only rubber and rim, I slowly made my way back. Thankfully, I was only about a hundred meters away.

"Meng ah, call a foreman to settle it lah," Mom yells from the kitchen.

What's with moms and underestimating their kids? I know how to change a tyre. It was Roby, of all people, who taught me how, "I can handle it mom!"

Mom is holding a cabbage on the front door, "I just called Dad, he'll be home soon."

So after sweating profusely in a attempt to loosen the bolts, I did manage to switch to the spare. To my horror, the spare wasn't really a spare. It was a false hope. And it was flat.

Looking like a well-dressed foreman in soaking wet clothes, I gave up, I signaled my mom with my black hands and holler out, "Tell dad to get the foreman, I've got 2 flat tyres now." I could not help but notice the 'I told you so' face on mom. Guess mother's always knows best, huh? Not to mention Ian's girl actually spotted it 2 weeks (or so) before.

"I think there's something wrong with your tyres," she warned me at the apartment car park.

We (me, Ian and Vig) have just returned from town after a sudden 'spur of the moment' trip to Greenhall to satisfy our Wan Than Mee cravings at midnight, "Ian lah!" I blamed him, "Time to loose weight man!"

Don't you just sense the karma? Whatever.


So anyway, that's not a good way to start the day.
There was however a silver-lining to this when dad said to me at the workshop, "Faster go, I'll settle the payment."

And off I go.
I miss the 9.30am meeting and now I've got a ridiculous amount of work and deadlines to meet. Coupled by a headache and stomach cramps. But that's another story for another time.



Cheerio.

No comments: