Monday, 17 July 2006

Drives Away

“Dad! An Iswara! Automatic and it’s in Penang!” I said to Dad when I saw the ad on the MotorTrader online website.

Dad was lying down on the sofa in the living room, watching a BBC documentary about how the world is dimming, it’s called Global Dimming and it’s causing our evaporation level to decline, “Ohhh, fantastic, what’s the number? Let me call him,”

I grabbed a piece of paper and quickly scribble the numbers down. Dad dials the number.

“Hello,” he greets the person on the other line.

“Yeah, my son saw your ad for your car on the internet…uh huh…uh huh…,” he nods to what the person on the other line had to say while I sit at my computer desk, oblivious.

“…OK, OK. Oh, you’re the 2nd owner, ya?”

“Oh, you bought it off your friend…I see, I see…it’s in tip-top condition too? OK. OK.”

Dad is still staring at the TV, though I suspect he isn’t focusing what’s actually on screen, staring into space to be precise, “What?! You want me to go Air Itam to view the car now?”

He takes a peek at the Kuku Bird wall clock we annoyingly still have stuck on our dining room wall and dad looks at me, miming the words, “You wanna go?”

I shook my head from left to right several times, rapidly and mimed back, “Nooo,” it’s already 9pm.

“Cannot lah, too late liao. Maybe tomorrow or the weekend,” dad suggests.

It seemed like a sweet deal. Finally. After months of searching high and low, I finally found an Automatic Iswara. At an awesome price too! Dad is still on the phone…

“So, lastly, whats the number plate?”

“Uh huh, uh huh…nice nice…P what ah?”

“What? A?? ABU??”

“Errr…right…Ciao.”

*Hangs up*

Dad smiles at me, “Haihhh, talk until so long…in the end, it’s a bloody Perak plate.”

Dammit, the search goes on.

No comments: