Thursday, 2 March 2006

Smart Mom, New Parents & Missed Chances

“There, Meng, I found the bloody remote,” as the pointed to the side cabinet next to her bed. Finally, I can retire from being the human-remote-control, no more stretching my arms to reach that puny TV.

Next to us was a soon-to-be-parents. They went in to the OR for a caesarean just 10 minutes after I left during my lunch-break visit. I whispered, “All the best,” to the soon-to-be-dad. He smiled and I can see it in his eyes, he was terrified, excited and scared all at the same time. The soon-to-be-mom looks terrified to be doing caesarean, and then in came my Supermom, she slides the curtains open that separates her bed from the couple’s and went, “No need to worry wan! It’s surely less painful that having to give birth without caesarean,” then she points at me, “Look at this tall fella, imagine what I have to go thru to get him out,” then they stared at me, in awe with my height. She continues, “Besides, caesarean these days will leave virtually no scar,” she comforts her. I can’t help but stare at my mom, how on earth did she knew all this out of a sudden. “Do you know how nasty the Ebola virus is? My god, puking blood and all, yucks,” she goes on.

“Mom, you’ve been watching way, way too much National Geographic,” I finally realize that’s how she knew all this. “What else you want me to watch? I still can’t walk and there are only 12 channels and no StarWorld,” she justifies.

----------------------------

When I entered the elevator on my second visit after work, I saw her again. At least I was quite sure it was her. She just literally popped out from nowhere. I was caught completely off-guard, I can’t even fake an “Excuse me” or some sort of one-liner to get her attention. I choked. I bloody choked. She’s a nurse now? Why is she wheeling an old lady? Or is that old lady her grandma and she’s only here for visits? I want to ask, do you use to work in McD’s but I could only conjure up a smile when the elevator went *Ting!* on the third-floor as she wheels away the old lady. My head and the elevator door were in perfect sync as I kept peeking on whatever that’s left to see before it shuts.

“You seemed like you’ve just saw a ghost,” my dad said to me in the room.

I would have rather see one than seeing her depart, again.

No comments: