Sunday, 22 May 2005

The Love Affair

I’ll take you all on a little trip back down memory lane. It was 2002, Foundation year at EAA, and finally they toss in our first computer based graphic design class. Entering for the first time, I was kinda overwhelmed by the Macs with all its hype and all. So enter the Mac Lab I did. By chance, I ended up at a rather aged, dusty and rusty green iMac G3 that still utilized a tray loading CD player. It was like 1995 all over again for me (Note: 1995 was my first ever experience on a real computer. It was running on Windows 3.1). The first thing that hit me was the fact that the mouse encompasses only one button….and the mouse is freakin’ round in shape! Not to mention the ultra unfriendly OS 9 operating system that Apple uses back then.

Then…
I hated Macs, period.

A few semesters later, finally, by luck…I get to use the far superior model, the PowerMac G4. It has a decent size Apple Cinema Display monitor, an ergonomically shaped mouse (even though it’s still a single button), and all the other small things that became more practical and rational. Despite all that, I still couldn’t get used to Macs and then suddenly…

“Oooh, what’s this?”
“Haven’t seen this before…”

The realization was apparent, there’s finally a new operating system in the house. OS X is at large. Swiftly, everything changed. Macs suddenly became friendlier, more usable than ever before and more importantly, an operating system that compliments the elegant exterior. I get that feeling in my gut that I’m already a switcher even before I get to admit it.

Now…
I love Macs, serious.

Ever since then, I’ve always wanted an Apple Computer, a shiny new Mac to replace that aging, old pre-historic Pentium II that I’ve been using since 1999. But unfortunately, Mac is also famous for their sky-high price tag. So it was rather unreasonable for me to own one.

Long story, short. (refer to the last paragraph in 2004 In Perspective, Part I)

I now own an entry level 12” iBook G4. Still fairly clean, still loving it and still white. But in a strange twist of fate, my sister’s computer in KL was struck down by a surge of electricity caused by a stray lightning. With her search for a new job barely underway, a computer is really crucial to help quicken the application process. She has requested to loan my iBook for several months. Ack! Several months?? That’s a loooong time to be parted with. Ughh…But she’s my sis, I guess I can loan it out. Be it a few months…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Man, I’m soo gonna miss my baby. Take good care of her, sis. Keep it white at all times.

No comments: