They do, they really do.
Since it’s a public holiday and I got yet another Saturday off, I decided to take mom out to hunt for more anime movies from Studio Ghibli. She’s gotten really hooked since I bought the box-set – which has 5 discs containing 14 movies in ‘em – from Popular during their stock clearance.
I couldn’t finish watching it. I stopped at Disc 2. Because some were just too damn draggy, “You mean you’ve watched all?” I ask mom.
“Yeah, it helps me sleep better at night.”
Hmmm, that justifies it. But I have to do some justice, even if its boring…it’s beautifully boring. It seems more like a fusion of anime and art films. So even if it’s boring, there’s a lot of beautifully drawn stuff to see. To be inspired. Or fall asleep.
We arrived at One-Stop and proceeded to the 6th floor, where all the goods are. Or at least should be. But it wasn’t. Not a single shop on the 6th floor was open. None. But I did bump into Captain Gan, his lover Jasmon and the lamp post, Eugene Ong.
“Fuck lah, no DVDs!” he whines right after I slam my left palm on his chest to say hi.
As mom and I headed home, we felt…a huge sense of discontent. Something was unfulfilled. On the drive back, we decided to check out this place next to Phor Tay School in Bagan. Turns out, it’s a shopping bazaar run by a bunch of Thais. Call it, Little Thailand. Cos they all speak Thai, look Thai and play Thai music.
And did I say it’s super cheap there?
I let myself go and embrace the relapse. I was so gonna buy this black t-shirt with “The Beatles” written in gold. I so want it. But sadly, they only have size-M. But like I said, I so want it.
“Meng, you can’t fit in it, it’s too small lah,” says mom as she lifts the shirt up to my back and measure, “See, it’s a good inch short.”
“But, but…maybe it’s the same size as this shirt I’m wearing now,” refusing to lose. I want that shirt so bad.
“Haih, I’m telling you, it won’t fit.”
I can be quite stubborn. I went to look for that guy – seems to be like some boss or supervisor – for a second opinion. And also to ask for a size-L. If they had any in stock.
But they only have M. Bloody hell. This is discrimination. Malaysian’s are not that small! Come on, man. Reluctant to let go such a cool looking shirt, I went back to the section where the shirt was. I turn my head left-to-right and I took off my shirt to try it on.
“Jeez, this is TIGHT!” trying hard just to breathe. Looking every bit like Simon Cowell.
Then came the I-told-you-so-face from mom, “See!” Mother’s do know best, huh?
Even taking the shirt off required a somewhat monumental effort, but hey, I can do yoga, remember? So after a good 5 minutes, I manage to yoga my way out of it.
In the end, I only bought 2 pairs of boxers, a camouflage pants, and a cool shirt for Ian as a birthday present. And almost a Rolex. Oh come on! RM19 for a Rolex, who wouldn’t at least try it on just for kicks.
It didn’t make me feel like a million ringgit.
So I left it there.
No comments:
Post a Comment