Saturday, 21 July 2007

The Smell Of Burning Circuit Is Never Good

I was at my room, messing about my brand spanking new phone. Adding some songs, customizing it. When suddenly, I heard a faint sound from the living room - sounded like it came from the general direction where my PC was.

"Poof!" it went. For some strange reason, the first thought that race into my head was my comp, "Oh crap, no!"

I rushed out to find my monitor displaying an eerie blank screen, the red HD light isn't blinking. And there was a faded and pale smell of burning circuit. This is not good. Not good at all.

I tried in vain to turn in on again. The green light would illuminate, but the red light won't. My heart is racing now. I've got 31 days left and I'm having a mini-freak out in my head. 31 days left for me to re-design my entire portfolio, 2 years plus worth of work in the real world. It hasn't descended into a full blown fuck-I-should-have-done-my-portfolio-way-earlier mode because I've saved it on my portable HD, but not having a working computer at home to finish it off calls for a down-graded freak out. But it's still a freak out nonetheless.

"So what do you think is fucked?" I ask Vig, he was on the winding road in Mt. Erskine. He told me we could get cut off at any given time because the reception is horrible there.

"Well, the good news is that the green light is still on," he explains, but it could be the hard drive. Because the red light isn't illuminated.

I'm not so worried about the cost of fixing it, but the hassle involved in the process, "Haihh, it couldn't have happen at a better time," I sighed, "I don't have much time left," on top of that, we still have a video to shoot for his dad's tribute music video. Plus some side-projects as well.

In my head, I'm thinking this is the best time to finally switch to Macs, full blown Macs. Then I realized I don't have the cash to splash. Crap.

After getting abruptly cut off, my phone sings Tainted Love by The Cure, it was Vig calling me back, "Don't worry lah cha, it shouldn't cost too much or take up too much time."

-Me and Ryan laughed when I told him that I'm gonna use Tainted Love for Vig when he calls me. My justification was that Vig loves random, this song was the draw of the luck-

Trying to get my mind into the whole 'it's half full not half empty' optimism, "Guess so," I muttered, still feeling giddy.

Now, all I need to do - or can do - is to remove the primary HD and replace it with a 3rd. Which is the OS backed up HD I have. With this, I should be able to determine weather its the HD or RAM that is fried. Because none of those showed any burnt marks. Oh the hassle. Ack!

No comments: