Saturday, 23 July 2005

Flame Boy

I came back, just after work…
Getting stuck at traffc.
Sis and her boyfriend were trying in vain…
To fire up the grill.

Mom was just sweeping away the mess…
They have made
I went…
“How long has it been?”

“30 minutes”
They said.
“Hmmmph, gimme 10 and I’ll sort it out”
Still fresh from dad’s ‘how-to-light-up-a-grill’ in less than 3 minutes.

I still can’t do it in 3 minutes…
But I’ve come a long way since then.

2 years ago during Chinese New Year…
Dad gave me the responsibility to light-up the grill.

He gave me…
A few twigs, a spoon full of kerosene and a piece of newspaper.
45 minutes later…
I did manage to turn charcoal into rubble.
No fire…No amber.

Dad went;
“Haiyah! Why like that?! Come, come…I show you”
And in less than 3 minutes…
It’s as if he cast a spell…
Because fire just lit up from the grill.

Effortlessly.

“Fire starters?! No need wan! It’s the technique!”
His voice still echoes in my ear every time I attempt to light up a grill.

Now, all I need to learn…
Is to remember to flip the meat…
Cos I still serve scorched meat.

But at least I put my sis’ boyfriend to shame…
Since sis doesn’t have a big bro…for him to impress…
I guess the boyfriend has to impress me, instead.
It's just fun :)

City dwellers…

No comments: