Sunday, 30 October 2005

Sis Saying Cheese

I was abruptly awoken this morning by a somewhat familiar The Simpsons’ ringtone. Slightly hung-over from over indulging myself last night, it took me awhile to gather myself to answer that…(I use The Simpsons’ ringtone for me family, heh).

I wondered…
“Why is dad/mom calling me when I’m in my room?”

I looked onto the screen, the name ‘Sis’ was blinking hysterically prompting me to quickly answer the call.

“mhmhmpf*yawn*mhmmhgf…yeah?” – Still half asleep.
“Meng ah! I want to buy digital camera! What brand you recommend ah?”
“Canon or Nikon…and maybe Sony…” – I answered.

She is window-shopping…window-shopping for a DIGITAL CAMERA! Walau, I thought she hates digital cameras because of their massive fluctuations in price. Well sis, anything that has to do with technology is like that! You buy today when it’s new, it’ll be old the next day. Technology is relentless, it’s a train without brakes, and it’ll just keep going and going and going and going…

So I say…just get on the bandwagon and enjoy the ride. Embrace technology.

Its fun to talk and discuss about technology with family members every once in awhile but it does get frustrating that no one in my family is tech savvy and well, most of my friends aren’t either. I miss having tech savvy friends around. Oi Ian! Come back lah mahai! Kev, fuck the south man, you belong here. I need my tech savvy friends! :)

I still remember it took me ages to teach my dad how to use Astro when we first got it. I had to print out the channel’s list and paste it on the wall with a mini illustration of the remote control stating which button to press and what not. Then came the mobile phone, man, I’m still teaching him as we speak. How to check missed calls lah, read sms lah, this lah, that lah…haihhh…even my mom knows how to key in names and save ‘em already. Let’s not get into computers. If my dad can even find the start button, that would make me a really happy son.

While sis is still somewhere in KL battling with the camera salesman, I still think that the Canon iXus 30, iXus 40 or iXus 50 will suit her. Compact, beautiful shots, user-friendly and plus, it’s Canon, you get what you pay for and they’ve been in the business for quite a while now. Unlike the rest, they haven’t exactly mastered the art of digital photography in my opinion. And Sony…well, apart from their slick exterior design, they’re expensive and extremely ordinary. On top of that, they use memory sticks which cost like a bomb rather than SD cards.

I’ve been talking a lot about Canon and not a word mentioned about Nikon, well…truth to be told is that I’m not familiar with their consumer level digi cams. I’m familiar with their SLR and d-SLR range though, which is absolutely god-sent. But Nikon being a camera company, they will always get the benefit of the doubt.

No comments: